Requirements to Obtaining your License
The person applying for an HVAC contractor registration shall be the owner of the contracting business, a partner in the contracting business applying on behalf of a partnership, or the chairman of the board or chief executive officer applying on behalf of the contracting corporation.
To obtain a contractor's license, you must also apply for a business credential.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A dwelling contractor-restricted category is for projects under $25,000, for contractors who provide a surety bond of less than $25,000. The figure of $5,000 mentioned in 101.654(2)(a)1, Stats. is the minimum for providing a surety bond. That minimum only is valid for the restricted category; there should be at least a $25,000 bond for the "full" or unrestricted dwelling contractor category, if a bond is provided and not the certificate of insurance.
Applying to get your License
Call (608) 261-8500 for application form, or Click Here
As of this time there are no requirements for continuing education.
Exam DetailsThe exam is open book and a 70% is required to pass. The exam is given by the state.
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references ARE allowed in the testing center:
- Wisconsin Uniform Dwelling Code (Comm 20-25)
- Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (Comm 41) )
- Wisconsin Mechanical Refrigeration Code (Comm 45)
- Wisconsin Commercial Building Code - consists of the following:
- Wisconsin Amendments (Comm 60-66)
- 2009 International Building Code
- 2009 International Mechanical Code
- 2009 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2009 International Existing Building Code
- SMACNA HVAC Duct Construction Standards Manual-Metal and Flexible
- NFPA 54: 2002 National Fuel Gas Code
- ASHRAE Fundamentals