Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Preapproval is required for these exams by the state.
- Master - proof of at least 1,000 hours per year for at least 7 years of experience in electrical construction work. No more than 3,000 hours and 3 years experience may be credited from approved course work.
- Journeyman - Proof of 5 years, 1,000 hours per year, of electrical construction work or having passed the electrical construction apprenticeship. Can use two years of full-time schooling in an electrical related program as part of experience.
- Contractor: Submit an application for a business credential.
The business owner must be a state-level master electrician or employ one.
Work that can be Done Under this License
Electrical Contractor - Allows local municipalities to accept electrical permit applications from owner of the contracting business, a partner in the contracting business applying on behalf of the partnership, or the chairman of the board or chief executive officer applying on behalf of the contracting business.
Journeyman - Allows an electrician who will be working under a master electrician to obtain a license at any municipality without local examination. Local municipalities decide whether certification is required.
Master - Allows an electrician to obtain a license at any municipality without local examination. Local municipalities decide whether certification is required.
Applying to get your License
Call (608) 261-8500 for application form, or Click Here
There are no reciprocal agreements with any state at this time.
24 hours of continuing education are required 3 months prior to the renewal date. Residential only electricians are required to complete 18 hours of continuing education 3 months prior to the renewal date.
- Open Book
- Minimum score of 70%
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references ARE allowed in the testing center:
- National Electrical Code, 2011
- Wisconsin Electrical Code
- Wisconsin Administrative Code
Exam Review, Training, Education
We currently offer 2 options to help you pass your electrical exam Our complete exam review includes practice tests, highlighting guides, calculations, test taking tips and instructor support. The practice tests only option includes practice tests, test taking tips and instructor support.
Our electrical practice includes over 400 real NEC questions. Each time you take the practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Practice Tests: $99
Online Exam Prep: $149