Requirements to Obtaining your License
Plumbing is licensed in Virginia is at 3 levels: journeyman, master, and contractor. To become either a journeyman plumber or a master plumber, there are two examination portions that must be passed: statutory and regulatory portion and the trade portion. To become an plumbing contractor, a Virginia Class A, B, or C license must also be obtained along with a master plumber license.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- To sit for the trade examinations, a candidate must document that they have met one of the following experience requirements. Individuals who hold a currently valid license or certification from another state as a journeyman or master tradesman may sit for the same level examination by providing a copy of that license or certification card.
- Two years of practical experience in the trade and a degree or certification showing the completion of a two year program from either a trade or technical school, or a community college; or
- Four years of practical experience in the trade and 240 hours of formal vocational training in the trade; or
- Five years of practical experience in the trade and 160 hours of formal vocational training in the trade; or
- Six years of practical experience in the trade and 80 hours of formal vocational training in the trade; or
- A bachelor’s degree received from an accredited college or university in an engineering curriculum related to the trade and 1 year of practical experience in the trade; or
- Ten years of practical experience in the trade, verified by an affidavit from those who observed the candidate’s work in the trade
- One year of practical experience as a licensed Virginia journeyman; or
- Ten years of practical experience in the trade, verified by an affidavit from those who observed the candidate’s work in the trade.
Work that can be Done Under this License
This type of contractor allows contracts including the installation, maintenance, extension, alteration or removal of all piping, fixtures, appliances, appurtenances in connection with; boilers, backflow prevention devices, hot water heaters, hydronic systems, process piping, steam heating systems, venting systems related to plumbing, and others.
Applying to get your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
You are required to submit your application to the Board prior to taking the examination. Applications can be downloaded by Clicking Here.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.
Three hours of CEU are required to be completed every 2 years. We offer this online.
- Pre-approval is required to sit for the exam.
- The journeyman and master plumbing portions have 80 questions and a time limit of 210 minutes.
- The fee for the journeyman portion is $100 while the master portion has a fee of $125.
- Both examinations have a passing score of 60%.
- Topics on the exam include drainage waste and vents; water supply systems; backflow prevention; storm drainage systems; plumbing fixtures; general regulations; interceptors and traps; standards of practice; standards of conduct; renewal and reinstatement; definitions; qualification for licensure; and revocation of licensure.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. You can purchases the references from our online bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
- Individual License and Certification Regulations
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the Virginia Master and Journeyman Plumbing examinations in an online training format. The fee for the course is $150. The course includes sample figures, questions, isometrics, as well as a highlighting guide for the approved references. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Online Training Price: $150