Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Please note, contractor licenses require a completed business and law exam and the trade exam.
- In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience.
- General Liability Insurance - The minimum required coverage is $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total.
- Candidates are required to show financial responsibility
Work that can be Done Under this License
Residential/Small Commercial Contractor means a person licensed under this chapter (Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act 58-55-102) as a residential and small commercial contractor qualified by education, training, experience, and knowledge to perform or superintend the construction of single-family residences, multi-family residences up to four units, and commercial construction of not more than three stories above ground and not more than 20,000 square feet, or any of the components of that construction except plumbing, electrical, and mechanical for which the residential and small commercial contractor shall employ the services of a contractor licensed in the particular specialty, except that a residential and small commercial contractor engaged in the construction of single-family and multi-family residences up to four units may perform the mechanical work and hire a licensed plumber or electrician as an employee.
Applying to get your License
Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing
PO Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
This license has reciprocity with Arizona, California, Nevada and South Carolina for the trade exam only
6 hours of continuing education are required every 2 years. We offer this training online.
- Open Book, 80 Questions / Three hour time limit
- 70% is required to pass
- Exams given by PSI: 1-800-733-9267
- Topics include: sitework, concrete, masonry, metals, carpentry, thermal and moisture protection, doors and windows, drywall and finishes, safety, general code, plan reading, estimating, and blue stake.
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references ARE allowed in the testing center:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- Utah Amendments to the International Building and Residential Codes (click here to print online)
The following references are NOT allowed in the testing center:
- OSHA, Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Modern Masonry
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete Construction
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Excavator's Guide
- Utah Water Quality, Title R317-4 (click here to print online)
- BCSI - Guide to Handling, Installing, and Bracing Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the Utah General Building Contractor exam in an online class format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Online Course: $199