Requirements to Obtaining your License
A Limited Licensed Plumbers license is required in Tennessee for plumbing projects that do not exceed $25,000.
- For plumbing projects that exceed $25,000, a Mechanical Plumbing Contractors license is required. Plumbing Contractors are exempt from having to obtain this license.
- Anyone seeking to become a Limited Licensed Plumber in Tennessee is required to sit for only one exam.
- Please note that the Tennessee Business and Law exam is NOT required to be passed to obtain your LLP as this license does NOT make you a contractor.
- 1 year of experience is required to obtain this license.
Work that can be Done Under this LicenseA licensed plumber in Tennessee can perform all aspects of plumbing, utility connections, irrigation systems, as well as gas piping to water heaters, laundry equipment, kitchen equipment, gas grills, and swimming pool heaters.
Applying to get your LicenseAn application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $75.00. Please note that you will have to check with the city/county you are intending to work in to see if they will recognize this license.
Reciprocity AgreementsTennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 40 questions and a 2 hour time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include general knowledge and math; general requirements pertaining to administration, structural, backflow, materials and supports, joints and connections, storm drains, testing; water supply and distribution; fixtures including water heaters; drain, waste, and vent systems including indirect and special waste; traps, cleanouts, and interceptors; isometric analysis; gas appliances and piping; and OSHA safety.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters
Exam Review, Training, Education
Online Training: The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math analysis portion. The program narrated and animated.
Online Course: $199