Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Please note that the Residential Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam.
- Pre-approval is required before sitting for the exam
- A minimum of one year of experience is required to qualify.
- Required to obtain a Surety Bond of at least $10,000, IF the work is in excess of $5,000.
Work that can be Done Under this License
This license allows all electric work on residential structures consisting of sixteen units or less and not exceeding 3 stories in height.
Applying to get your License
All applicants will be required to submit a credit report with their application. An application-processing fee of $100 must be sent with the application when seeking pre-approval. Licenses renew July 1 of each even numbered year. The licensing fee for the Residential Electrical is $50 for 12 months or less and $100 for 12 months or more.
Licensing Board for Contractors
Post Office Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211
Exam waiver agreements with North Carolina and Georgia.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
- 60 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
- A score of 73.3% (44 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $75.
- Topics include: General Electrical Knowledge, Service, Feeders, and Branch Circuits, Over current Protection, Grounding and Bonding, Conductors and Cables, Raceways and Boxes, Lighting, Specialty - Pool/Spa, Garages, Generators, Wheelchair Lift, and Safety.
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- International Residential Code 2012 or 2015
- National Electrical Code Book 2011 or 2014
- OSHA 29. CFR 1926 for Contractors
- Ugly's Electrical Reference
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Exam Prep: $149