Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Please note that the Commercial Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam.
- A minimum of two years of residential and/or commercial experience within the last 5 years is required to qualify
Work that can be Done Under this License
This license allows the installation, replacement, alteration, and repair of heating equipment and systems in buildings which require the use of high or low pressure steam vapor or hot water including all piping, ducts, and mechanical equipment within, adjacent to, or connected a building and the installation of necessary gas lines if any of the equipment is gas-fired.
Applying to get your License
$350 for a 2-year license and $175 for one year license. Submit an application to the state licensing board with documentation of your experience, financial information and your passing test scores.
Licensing Board for Contractors
Post Office Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211
Agreement with Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, & Pennsylvania.
The Board does not require continuing education at this time.
- 50 questions and a time limit of three hours
- A score of 70% (35 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $75
- Topics include: Boilers-High Pressure, Code Compliance, Piping, HARV General, Boilers-Low Pressure, Fuel Gas Systems, HARV Controls, Ducts, HARV Load Calculation
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- ACCA Duct Slide Rule
- Carrier Design Manual PART 3
- High Pressure Boilers
- International Fuel Gas Code 2012 or 2015
- International Mechanical Code 2012 or 2015
- Low Pressure Boilers
- Manual N, Commercial Load Calculations
- Manual J, Residential Load Calculations
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Pipefitter's Handbook
- Trane Ductulator
- System Design Manual- Part III