Requirements to Obtaining your License
PLUMBING AND GAS CONTRACTOR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants for the plumbing contractor license must verify four (4) years plumbing experience and be eighteen (18) years of age to be eligible to take the examination.
- Experience cannot be verified by a family member or the applicant's self.
- Each active electrical contractor must furnish a $5,000 surety bond.
- Workers compensation and $50,000 liability insurance are also required.
- To become a licensed contractor, the business and law exam must also be passed.
PLUMBING AND GAS JOURNEYMAN REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants for the journeyman examination must be eighteen (18) years of age and certify three (3) years of plumbing experience to be eligible to take the examination. Experience cannot be verified by a family member or the applicant's self.
Each journeyman must be licensed and employed by a licensed contractor before engaging in work.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A Master Plumbing License covers unlimited plumbing work including sanitary drainage, water supply, storm drainage, and natural gas piping.
A Journeyman Plumbing license covers unlimited plumbing work including sanitary drainage, water supply, storm drainage, and natural gas piping while under the supervision of a Master Plumber.
Applying to get your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board calling 1-405-271-5217.
Application and License Fees
- Plumbing Contractor $225.00 (License $200.00 / Processing $25.00)
- Plumbing Journeyman (Reciprocal or otherwise) $75.00 (License $50.00 / Processing $25.00)
Licenses are good for 1 year.
Licenses are good for 1 year.
Reciprocity is considered on a case by case basis.
6 hours of continuing education are required within 1 year after the state adopts a newer code.
- To take the exam, you must be preapproved by the state.
- The exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 180 minutes
- A score of 75% is needed to pass.
- The exam fee is $88. If you are sitting for the trade exam and the business law exam in the same session, the fee for both parts combined is $88.
- Topics on the exam include general knowledge and math; general requirements pertaining to administration, structural, backflow, materials and supports, joints and connections, storm drains, testing; water supply and distribution; fixtures including water heaters; drain, waste, and vent systems including indirect and special waste; traps, cleanouts, and interceptors; isometric analysis; gas appliances and piping; and OSHA safety.
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the Oklahoma Plumbing and Gas Contractor, Journeyman examinations in an online format. This course includes highlighting guides and practice quizzes for the reference materials allowed into the examination. The fee for the course is $199. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Online Exam Review: $199