Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Passing the Business and Law Exam is required to be licensed.
- Required to have prior approval from the State Board before testing.
- Have 5 years documentable experience in the classification desired or have been an engineer with 3 years of business experience in the construction industry.
- In addition to the $25.00 license fee, individuals must also send proof of $500,000 minimum contractor liability insurance
Work that can be Done Under this License
A Plumbing License covers plumbing work including sanitary drainage, water supply, storm drainage, and natural gas piping.
Applying to get your License
Complete the license application accurately and mail it with a $25 application fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Treasurer, State of Ohio at the address listed above. The license application fee is nonrefundable. Upon receipt of your application, OCILB will determine your eligibility to take the examination.
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of Industrial Compliance
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board
6606 Tussing Road, P.O. Box 4009
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9009
None at this time.
10 hours total per year.
- 100 questions and a time limit of 4 hrs
- Exam requires a 70% to pass.
- Topics on the examination includes: Plumbing Fixtures, Plumbing Materials & Fundamentals, Traps, Cleanouts, & Interceptors, Special Requirements, Drainage Requirements, Vents, Water Distribution, Plan Analysis
- Call PSI for testing info at 1-800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are allowed in the testing center:
- Ohio Plumbing Code, 2011
- International Fuel and Gas Code, 2009
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters
- Modern Plumbing
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the exam in an online format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, and math. To enroll, click the following link or call our office toll free at 1-800-952-0910.
We also offer practice tests to help you pass the business and law exam. Both courses can be purchased together or separately.
Online Exam Review: $199