Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Passing the Business and Law Exam is required to be licensed.
- Required to have prior approval from the State Board before testing.
- Have 5 years documentable experience in the classification desired or have been an engineer with 3 years of business experience in the construction industry.
- In addition to the $25.00 license fee, individuals must also send proof of $500,000 minimum contractor liability insurance
Work that can be Done Under this License
A licensed HVAC contractor Ohio can perform all aspects of heating and cooling including fuel gas systems and appliances. This also covers all associated equipment and ductwork.
Applying to get your License
Complete the license application accurately and mail it with a $25 application fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Treasurer, State of Ohio at the address listed above. The license application fee is nonrefundable. Upon receipt of your application, OCILB will determine your eligibility to take the examination.
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of Industrial Compliance
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board
6606 Tussing Road, P.O. Box 4009
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9009
Agreements with Kentucky and Louisiana.
10 hours total per year.
- 100 questions and a time limit of 4 hrs
- Open Book
- Exam requires a 70% to pass.
- Topics on the examination includes: General knowledge, warm air and heating distribution, ventilation and exhaust systems, air conditioning, piping systems, equipment and appliances, testing and inspections.
- Call PSI for testing info at 1-800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are allowed in the testing center:
- Ohio Mechanical Code, 2011
- International Fuel and Gas Code, 2009
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the exam in an online format. The online exam review includes hundreds of questions and covers key concepts that you will be tested on. To enroll, click the following link or call our office toll free at 1-800-952-0910.
We also offer practice tests to help you pass the business and law exam. Both courses can be purchased together or separately.
Online Exam Review: $199