Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Passing the Business and Law Exam is required to be licensed.
- Required to have prior approval from the State Board before testing.
- It will cost $60 to renew and you must show proof of insurance ($500,000 liability minimum) and have completed continued education requirements.
Work that can be Done Under this License
An Electrical Contractor may engage in the business of contracting to install, erect, repair or alter electrical equipment for the generation, transmission or utilization of electrical energy.
Applying to get your License
Complete the license application accurately and mail it with a $25 application fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Treasurer, State of Ohio at the address listed above. The license application fee is nonrefundable. Upon receipt of your application, OCILB will determine your eligibility to take the examination.
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of Industrial Compliance
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board
6606 Tussing Road, P.O. Box 4009
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9009
There are agreements with Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, and West Virginia.
10 hours total. 5 of the 10 hours must be in code.
- 100 questions and a time limit of 4 hrs
- Topics on the examination includes: General electrical knowledge, transformers and equipment, service feeders and branch circuits, raceways, boxes, and panelboards, conductors and cables, control devices, motors and generators, utilization equipment, and special occupancy.
- Call PSI for testing info at 1-800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following reference is allowed in the testing center:
- National Electrical Code, 2014 Edition
- Ugly's Electrical References
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the exam in an online format. The online practice tests includes hundreds of questions and covers key concepts that you will be tested on. To enroll, click the following link or call our office toll free at 1-800-952-0910.
We also offer practice tests to help you pass the business and law exam. Both courses can be purchased together or separately.
Electrical Exam Review: $149