Requirements to Obtaining your License
- A "General Building Contractor" means a contractor under this classification is authorized to bid and contract for any of the buildings, structures or projects included in the classifications for GB-98.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A contractor under this classification is authorized to bid and contract for any of the buildings, structures or projects included in the classifications for GB-98.
Applying to get your License
Applications for all types of contractor's licenses are available from:
Contractors Licensing Service, Inc.
3211 Coors Blvd. SW, Suite D-4
Albuquerque, NM 87121
None at this time.
Not required at this time.
- The New Mexico General Building Contractor exam has 100 questions and a time limit of 300 minutes.
- A 75% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, concrete, masonry; carpentry; doors and windows; metals; drywall and finishes; thermal and moisture protection; general code; plan reading and estimating; and OSHA safety.
- The fee for the exam is $30 and pre-approval is required from the board before sitting for the exam.
- To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- New Mexico Building Code
- New Mexico Administrative Code Title 14
- 2009 International Building Code
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Manual of Construction with Steel Deck
- Unbonded Post-Tensioning
- Erector's Manual
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders
- Code of Federal Regulations, OSHA
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- ACI 530
- ACI 318
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the New Mexico General Building Contractor exam in an online class format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Online Course: $199