Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Three exams must be passed to become a Master Plumber: Trade, Business and Law, and Practical.
- Must be 21 years old for the Master.
- A $3,000 bond is required for licensure.
- No exam is required for the Journeyman, but 4 years of experience as an apprentice and 1 year Journeyman is required to apply to take the Master.
- Required to have prior approval from the State Board before testing.
Work that can be Done Under this License
"Journeyman plumber" means any person other than a master plumber or apprentice plumber who installs, alters, repairs and renovates plumbing in accordance with standards, rules and regulations established by the board and who works under the supervision of a master plumber.
"Master plumber" means a person licensed pursuant to this amendatory and supplementary act who has the qualifications, training, experience and technical knowledge necessary to properly plan, lay out, install and repair plumbing apparatus and equipment and to supervise others in the performance of such work in accordance with standards, rules and regulations established by the State board.
Applying to get your License
$100 initial application fee and 3-year renewal fee of $150.
Department of Law & Public Safety
Board of Examiners of Master Plumbers
PO Box 45006
Newark, NJ 07101
None at this time.
5 hours every biennial renewal period.
- 50 questions and a time limit of 130 minutes (Business and Law)
- 100 questions and a time limit of 195 minutes (Trade)
- The practical exam is 25 questions and a time limit of 130 minutes.
- Exam requires a 70% to pass.
- Trade Exam Topics Include: General Knowledge, General Regulations, Plumbing Fixtures, Water Supply Systems, DWV, Indirect Waste, Roof Drain Piping, Specialty Piping, and Isometric Analysis.
- Business and Law Exam Topics Include: Contract Management, Estimating and Bidding, Licensing, Labor Law, Tax Law, Lien Law, Business Organization, Project Management, Financial Management, Risk Management, and Safety.
- Call PSI for testing info at 800.733.9267
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are not allowed in the testing center. The Trade Exam is based on these references.
- National Standard Plumbing Code, 2015
- Modern Plumbing
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters
- OSHA Part 1926
- Plumbing Design and Installation
The following reference IS allowed in the testing center. The Business and Law Exam is based on this reference.
- New Jersey, Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management