Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Education Requirements: Completion of an approved residential apprenticeship program in the electrical trade or completion of
an appropriate training program conducted by a bona fide union or trade association.
- Experience Requirements: Worked in the electrical maintenance field for at least (20,000) hours, accompanied by written certification by the applicant’s employer. A minimum of (8,000) of these hours must be practical experience
- Education Requirements: Completion of an approved apprenticeship program in the electrical trade or completion of an appropriate training program conducted by a bona fide union or trade association.
- Experience Requirements: Worked in the electrical maintenance field for at least (20,000) hours, accompanied by written certification by the applicant’s employer. A minimum of (8,000) of these hours must be practical experience.
- Education Requirements: Written evidence of being a graduate as an electrical engineer of an accredited college or university and having minimum of (2,000) hours of legally obtained practical experience.
- Experience Requirements: A third party verification of (8,000) hours of legally obtained journeyman level experience in wiring for, installing, and repairing of electrical apparatus and equipment for light, heat, and power, (Per 37-68-304, MCA) with no less than 20 percent, but not more than 50 percent residential experience.
- Must hold a master license and show workers compensation insurance and liability insurance.
Work that can be Done Under this License
An electrical contractor services include low voltage, fire detection, sign wiring, and all residential, commercial and industrial building or structural wiring.
Applying to get your LicenseTo apply for an electrical license, contact:
Montana State Electrical Board
PO Box 200513
301 South Park Ave, 4th Floor
Helena MT 59620 - 0513
Phone: (406) 841-2339
Fax: (406) 841-2309
Journeyman License: AK, AR, CO, MN, ND, NE, NH, NM, OK, SD, UT and WY (Idaho is only reciprocal with Montana, State to State).
16 hours of Board approved courses per renewal cycle. A minimum of 8 hours must be on code update. The Board accepts Continuing Education from any reciprocal state.
- 80 questions and a time limit of 4hrs (Master Exam)
- 60 questions and a time limit of 3hrs (Journeyman Exam)
- 50 questions and a time limit of 3hrs (Residential Exam)
- Exam requires a 70% to pass.
- Topics on the Builder examination includes: GENERAL ELECTRICAL KNOWLEDGE,RACEWAYS AND ENCLOSURES,SERVICES, FEEDERS AND BRANCH CIRCUITS,OVERCURRENT PROTECTION,CONDUCTORS AND CABLES,GROUNDING AND BONDING,EQUIPMENT FOR GENERAL USE,SPECIAL OCCUPANCIES,SPECIAL EQUIPMENT AND CONDITIONS,MOTORS AND CONTROLS,LOW VOLTAGE
- To schedule your exams, contact LaserGrade at 1-877-782-3926.
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are allowed in the testing center:
- 2008 National Electrical Code (All Exams)
- Adminstrative Rules (All Exams)
- Title 2 Chapter 15 Part 17 State Electrical Board (All Exams)
- Title 37 Chapter 68 Electricians and Electrical Safety (All Exams)
- Print Reading Based on the 2008 NEC (Master Electrician Only)
- Electrical Estimating Pal (Master Electrician Only)
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.