Requirements to Obtaining your License
A Residential Builder's license is required for projects that exceed $50,000 or more.
- Pass 2 exams Business and Law; Residential Builder.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A residential contractor’s services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one, two, three, or four family unit residences that do not exceed three stories in height.
Applying to get your LicenseAn application for licensure can be obtained from the Mississippi State Board of Contractors by calling 1-800-880-6161. The licensing and application fee is $50.00.
Currently an agreement with South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Alabama.
There is none at this time.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 80 questions and an 3-hour time limit
- 70% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $120 for 1 portion or $240 for two portions of testing.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; roofing; associated trades and drywall; general code, plan reading and estimating; OSHA safety; and licensing.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Residential Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Guide to Good Practice for Wood Trusses
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
The following reference is also needed for the residential builder exam. It is available to print online free of charge.
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer an online review for the Mississippi Builder Exam. The online class is $199. During the class, students will highlight each one of the references that they are recommended for the exam. Math and plans analysis is also taught. For more information on either attending a seminar, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.