Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Anyone seeking to become a Master Electrician contractor in Mississippi is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Applicants are required to submit a CPA reviewed financial statement. This statement must document a net worth of at least $50,000.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A licensed electrical contractor (master electrician) in Mississippi can perform unlimited electrical work.
Applying to get your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Mississippi State Board of Contractors by calling 1-800-880-6161. The licensing and application fee is $200.00.
Currently an agreement with South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Alabama.
There is none at this time.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 80 questions and an 3-hour time limit
- 70% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $120 for 1 portion or $240 for two portions of testing.
- Topics on the exam include general electrical knowledge; services, feeders, and branch circuits; grounding and bonding; conductors and cables; raceways and boxes; special occupancies and special equipment; electrical power; motors; low voltage; lighting; illuminated signs; fire detection and alarm systems; safety information; and overcurrent protection.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2014 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70)
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Ugly’s Electrical References
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Exam Prep: $199