Requirements to Obtaining your License
A Building Construction License is required in Mississippi for commercial projects that exceed over $50,000 and public works projects that are over $50,000 in value.
- Required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Applicants are required to submit a CPA reviewed financial statement. This statement must document a net worth of at least $50,000.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A licensed building contractor in Mississippi can perform general aspects of construction on any commercial, residential or industrial structure.
Applying to get your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Mississippi State Board of Contractors by calling 1-800-880-6161. The licensing and application fee is $200.00.
Currently an agreement with South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Alabama.
There is none at this time.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 80 questions and an 3-hour time limit
- 70% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $120 for 1 portion or $240 for two portions of testing.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; roofing; associated trades and drywall; general code, plan reading and estimating; OSHA safety; and licensing.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Building Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures
- Training and Certification of Field Personnel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning
The following reference is also needed for the building contractor exam. It is available to print online free of charge.
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer an online course only at this time. During the class, students will highlight each one of the references that they are recommended for the exam. Math and plans analysis is also taught. For more information on either attending a seminar, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.