Requirements to Obtaining your License
A Contractors License (General Contractor) is required in Georgia when the project exceeds $2,500.
- As of 11-1-2016, pre-approval from NASCLA is required to sit for the examination. This is done by submitting a completed application.
- Please note that the Georgia Business and Law exam is also required to be passed to obtain your contractor’s license.
- Licensure will be required for the practice of contracting in Georgia for any job over $2,500.
- Applicants must have a minimum of net worth of $150,000, one must have a CPA submit a reference letter/form attesting to either a review or audit.
- Must provide copy of an insurance certificate showing proof of workers compensation insurance as required by Georgia law and liability insurance in a minimum amount of $500,000. If applicant is applying as an individual, such proof shall be on behalf of the individual. If applicant is applying as a qualifying agent, such proof shall relate to the business organization.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A General Contractor is unlimited as to the type of work they may do. It also does not limit them as to what type of contracts they are eligible to bid upon. It provides for private, commercial, institutional, industrial, public, and other buildings and structures. This does NOT include HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Low Voltage, or Utility Contracting. There are no limitations on project size.
Applying to get your License
To apply, contact the state of Georgia at 1-478-207-2440. A nonrefundable fee of $200.00 must be submitted with application.
This license has reciprocity with Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia. However, you must have held the same classification of license in these states for at least three years to qualify for reciprocity..
Applicants are required to complete 8 hours of continuing education each year.
- The NASCLA Exam has 115 questions and a time limit of 330 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include estimating, bidding and preconstruction service; project management; project construction; project closeout; business and financial management.
- The fee for the exam is $106.
- To schedule your exam, you must first obtain pre-approval from NASCLA. Then, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Building Code
- ANSI Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Construction Jobsite Management
- Construction Project Management
- Contractors Guide to Business and Project Management
- Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction
- Erector's Manual, Erection of Precast Concrete
- Green Building Fundamentals
- Guide to Handling, Installing, and Bracing Wood Trusses
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joist and Joist Girders
- Manual of Construction with Steel Deck
- Modern Masonry
- OSHA Part 1926
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Training and Certification for Unbonded Post-Tensioning
- ACI 318-11 or ACI 318-14
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the NASCLA Contractor Exam through a home study/ online course format. The fee for the online class is $149. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Online Class Price: $149