Requirements to Obtaining your License
- To become a licensed contractor in Florida, applicants must sit for two exams: business and finance and the trade. Please note that Electrical Contractors will not sit for this examination as their requirements are different. Please view our Florida Electrical Contractor page for more information.
- Applicants must document four years of experience. Applicants are also required to provide a credit report and financial statement that is no more than 12 months old. A net worth of $2,500 - $20,000 (depending on classification) is required.
- The minimum general liability insurance that is required for licensure is $100,000 for bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A "roofing contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the roofing trade. Roofing contractors have the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design and use materials and items used in the installation, maintenance, extension, and alteration of all kinds of roofing, waterproofing, and coating, except when coating is not represented to protect, repair, waterproof, stop leaks, or extend the life of the roof.
Applying to get your License
Applications can be obtained from the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board by calling 1-850-487-1395. The application fee when applying for initial licensure:
For Individual Only
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $249.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $309.
Qualifying a Business
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $308.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $208.
Florida has no reciprocity agreements; however, does endorse certain examinations from California, Georgia, and North Carolina for electrical contractors in select categories. The endorsements from Georgia include alarm and specialty categories.
Continuing EducationEach contractor is required to take 14 hours of continuing education during each 2 years prior to the renewal period.
- The examination is divided into two 4 1/2 hour sections with one section in the a.m. and the other in the p.m.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- The fee for the exam is $135.
- You will be scheduled for the examination date and site that you selected on your application.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Building Estimator's Reference Book, Walker's
- OSHA 29. CFR 1926 for Contractors
- Architectural Sheet Metal Manual-SMACNA
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Florida Building Code 2014
- Florida Building Code 2014 w/ Test Protocols
- NRCA Roofing Manual - Membrane Roof System
- NRCA Roofing Manual - Metal Panel and SPF Roof Systems
- NRCA Roofing Manual - Steep-slope Roof Systems
- NRCA Roofing Manual - Architectural Metal Flashing
- NRCA Waterproofing Manual