Requirements to Obtaining your License
- A Plumbing Contractors license is required in Florida for any job that involves the trade. Anyone seeking to become a plumbing contractor in Florida is required to sit for two exams, business and finance and the trade.
- Applicants must document four years of experience. Applicants are also required to provide a credit report and financial statement that is no more than 12 months old. A net worth of $2,500 - $20,000 (depending on classification) is required.
- The minimum general liability insurance that is required for licensure is $100,000 for bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage.
Work that can be Done Under this License
- A "plumbing contractor" means a contractor whose contracting business consists of the execution of contracts requiring the experience, financial means, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or, when not prohibited by law, design plumbing.
Applying to get your License
Applications can be obtained from the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board by calling 1-850-487-1395. The application fee when applying for initial licensure:
For Individual Only
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $249.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $309.
Qualifying a Business
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $308.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $208.
Florida has no reciprocity agreements; however, does endorse certain examinations from California, Georgia, and North Carolina for electrical contractors in select categories. The endorsements from Georgia include alarm and specialty categories.
Continuing Education14 hours of continuing education is required.
- The examination is divided into two 4 1/2 hour sections with one section in the a.m. and the other in the p.m.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- The fee for the exam is $135.
- You will be scheduled for the examination date and site that you selected on your application.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Florida Fuel and Gas 2014
- Florida Plumbing Code-2014
- Florida Mechanical Code-2014
- Florida Accessibility Code-2014
- Florida Residential Code-2014
- Mathematics for Plumbers & Pipefitters
- NFPA 14, Installation of Standpipe and Hose Systems
- NFPA 99 Health Care Facilities
- OSHA 29. CFR 1926 for Contractors
- Plumbers Handbook 4th Edition
- Solar Thermal Manual: Solar Water and Pool Heating Manual. 2006
- Chapter 64E-6, Florida Administrative Code