Requirements to Obtaining your License
To become a licensed contractor in Florida, applicants must sit for two exams: business and finance and the trade. Please note that Electrical Contractors will not sit for this examination as their requirements are different. Please view our Florida Electrical Contractor page for more information.
Applicants must document four years of experience. Applicants are also required to provide a credit report and financial statement that is no more than 12 months old. A net worth of $2,500 - $20,000 (depending on classification) is required.
The minimum general liability insurance that is required for licensure is $300,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for property damage.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A "general contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do.
Applying to get your License
Applications can be obtained from the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board by calling 1-850-487-1395. The application fee when applying for initial licensure:
For Individual Only
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $249.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $309.
Qualifying a Business
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $308.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $208.
Florida has no reciprocity agreements; however, does endorse certain examinations from California, Georgia, and North Carolina for electrical contractors in select categories. The endorsements from Georgia include alarm and specialty categories.
Continuing EducationEach contractor is required to take 14 hours of continuing education during each 2 years prior to the renewal period.
- The examination is divided into two 4 1/2 hour sections with one section in the a.m. and the other in the p.m. A 70% is required to pass. There are 2 fees to take this exam: $135 paid to PTI and $80 paid to DPBR but mailed to PTI. You will be scheduled for the examination date and site that you selected on your application.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- AIA Documents Package, Florida
- Builder's Guide to Accounting
- Building Estimator's Reference Book
- OSHA Part 1926
- Contractors Manual
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction
- Application and Finishing of Gypsum Panel Products
- Energy Efficient Building Construction In Florida
- Guide to Handling, Installing, and Bracing Wood Trusses
- Florida Building Code, 2014
- Florida Residential Code, 2014
- Florida Existing Building Code 2014
- Florida Accessibility Code, 2014
- Florida Energy Code, 2014
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the Florida General Contractor Exam through a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $249 for the Contract/Project administration ONLY or $399 for the full review which includes the Business and Finance review.
The Florida Contractor Exam Review Online includes:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Plans
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Exam Review: $249 or $399
Reference Books: $1049
Full Package 2014 (Books, Online Course, Tabs and FREE Shipping): $1449.
Full Package 2017 (Books, Online Course, Tabs and FREE Shipping): $1549. (Testing after December 2017)