Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Must be, or employ a master electrician who holds a license issued by the State Board of Electrical Examiners
- Applicants will receive the examination registration form after the Board has approved their application.
- The registration must be sent along with the $60.00 exam fee, to the testing service.
- Experience and education requirements range from 3 to 6 years
- Must have proof of liability insurance for $300,000
- Issued for 2 years, expiring on June 30th of even numbered years
Work that can be Done Under this License
An electrical contractor services include low voltage, fire detection, sign wiring, and all residential, commercial and industrial building or structural wiring.
Applying to get your License
Applications can be obtained by contacting the state board.
Ph: (302) 744-4504
FAX: (302) 739-2711
Available with some states
Continuing EducationAs a condition of renewal, 10 hours are required for licenses in effect for over 2 years and 5 of the 10 hours must be code related. For licenses in effect for over 1 year, but less than two years, the applicant must complete 5 hours. Licenses less than a year at renewal require no continued education.
- The exams are given the first Saturday in February, May, August and November.
- For exam info, please contact Prometric at 1-800-626-0750.
Books and References for the Exam
These references are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2011 National Electrical Code
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Exam Prep: $149