Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Please note the Business and Law Examination is required for ALL Contractor licenses.
- Journeyperson: this license examination will be the completion of a registered apprenticeship program or equivalent experience and training.
- Unlimited: this license examination will be two (2) years as a properly licensed journeyperson or equivalent experience and training.
Work that can be Done Under this License
Journeyperson HVAC: Allows all heating, piping and cooling work as so defined only while in the employ of a licensed contractor.
HVAC Contractor: Allows all heating, piping and cooling work as defined in section 20-330 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Applying to get your License
Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
Occupational & Professional Licensing Division
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1630
Reciprocity AgreementsThere are no reciprocal agreements for this license as of this time.
Continuing EducationNone at this time.
- The Connecticut Unlimited Journeyperson HVAC exam has 70 questions and a time limit of 2 1/2 hours minutes while the Unlimited HVAC Contractor exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
- Both examinations require a 70% to pass.
- Topics on both examinations include insulation; hangers and supports; sound, vibration and seismic control; heating and cooling principles; refrigerants and refrigeration; testing, adjusting and balancing; controls; machine room; a/c and heat pump equipment; furnaces and heaters; hydronics; chimney's, flues, and vents; combustion air; fuel gas systems; ducts; chillers; ventilation and exhaust; safety; oil burners; and boilers. The Unlimited Contactor exam will also have load calculation problems.
- The fee for the exam is $62 and pre-approval is required.
- Please note that the Connecticut Business and Law exam is also required to be passed if you are wanting to obtain the contractor's license.
- To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor's bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- NFPA 31: Standard for the Installation of Oil Burning Equipment
- NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards
- ACCA Ductulator
- NFPA 58
The examination also pulls questions from the following references. However, these references are NOT permitted to be taken into the exam.
- Modern Hydronic Heating For Residential and Light Commercial Buildings
- Residential Oil Burners
- Steam Plant Operation
The following References are used ONLY on the Unlimited Contractor exam. They are permitted to be used during the examination.
- Manual N, Commercial Load Calculations