Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Pre-approval from the Colorado Examining Board of Plumbers is required to sit for examination.
- Master Plumber's must document five years of experience.
- Journeyman Plumber's must document four years or 6,800 hours of practical experience.
- Residential Plumbers must verify two years or 3,400 hours of practical experience.
Work that can be Done Under this License
- "Plumbing contractor" means any person, firm, partnership, corporation, association, or other organization who undertakes or offers to undertake for another the planning, laying out, supervising, installing, or making of additions, alterations, and repairs in the installation of plumbing. In order to act as a plumbing contractor, the person, firm, partnership, corporation, association, or other organization must either be or employ full-time a master plumber.
- "Master plumber" means a person who has the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to properly plan, lay out, and install and repair plumbing apparatus and equipment including the supervision of such in accordance with the standards, rules, and regulations established by the board.
- "Journeyman plumber" means any person other than a master plumber, residential plumber, or plumber's apprentice who engages in or works at the actual installation, alteration, repair, and renovation of plumbing in accordance with the standards, rules, and regulations established by the board.
- "Residential plumber" means any person other than a master or journeyman plumber or plumbing apprentice who has the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge, as specified by the board, to install plumbing and equipment in one-, two-, three-, and four-family dwellings, which shall not extend more than two stories above ground
Applying to get your License
Applications for plumbing licensure can be obtained by contacting the Colorado state board by calling 1-303-894-7800.
- Residential Plumber - $100
- Journeyman Plumber - $120
- Mater Plumber - $140
Reciprocity AgreementsPlease contact the state directly for information on license by endorsement.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
- Prior to taking the exam, you will need to submit a license application along with the appropriate fee.
- After you are approved, you will receive an examination packet.
- The exam fee is $75. Exam fees must be paid at the time the reservation is made.
- Residential and Journeyman plumber exams - 100 questions and a 4-hour time limit
- Master plumber exam - 120 questions and a 4.5 hour time limit
- A 70% is required to pass the exam
- The exam is given by PSI
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are on the plumbing examinations. These references may be purchased from our online contractor's bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- Colorado Rules and Regulations
- 2015 International Residential Code
Please note that questions will come from the Fuel Gas Code. However, it is NOT permitted to be used during testing. Also, the test vendor will provide a copy of the Plumbing Code and the Rules and Regulations.