Requirements to Obtaining your License
- An Electrical Contractors License in California is required for projects that exceed $500.
- To become a licensed contractor, candidates will have to sit for two exams: business and law and their trade.
- In order to sit for the examinations, the board must first approve your application.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- Applicants are required to have 4 years experience to qualify to take the exam. Experience must be at the journeyman, foreman or supervisor, contractor, or as an owner-builder.
- All applicants must have a working capital of at least $2,500. In addition, all applicants must also file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $10,000.
Work that can be Done Under this License
An electrical contractor in California places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.
Applying to get your License
The exam fee is included with the $300 application fee. The initial license fee for two years is an additional $180. An application for licensure can be obtained from the California Contractors State License Board by calling 1-800-321-2752.
Limited agreements with Arizona, Utah, and Nevada.
Continuing Education32 Hours of continuing education are required per renewal. We are state approved to offer this online. Please call 800-952-0910 for details.
- The California Electrical Contractor exam has approximately 100 questions and a time limit of 2 1/2 hours.
- A 72% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include system evaluation and design; rough wiring; finish wiring and trim; troubleshooting and repair; and safety.
- The exam fee is included with the $250 application fee.
- After the board has approved your application, they will inform you of the testing date.
Books and References for the Exam
All exams in California are closed book.