Requirements to Obtaining your License
- To obtain a Plumbing Contractor's license, the Contractor's Business and Law exam must also be passed.
- Applicants are required to show 5 years of experience to obtain a Master license and to obtain a Journeyman license applicants must show 4 years of experience.
- Journeyman must hold their license for 1 year before applying for a Master license.
- Pre-approval is required from the board before sitting for the exam
Work that can be Done Under this License
- An Arkansas Master Plumbing License covers unlimited plumbing work including sanitary drainage, water supply, storm drainage, and natural gas piping.
- An Arkansas Journeyman Plumbing license covers unlimited plumbing work including sanitary drainage, water supply, storm drainage, and natural gas piping while under the supervision of a Master Plumber.
Applying to get your License
To apply for a license, contact the Arkansas Department of Health at 1-501-661-2642. Your application must be processed before sitting for the exam.
- The fee for a Master license is $200.00 per year.
- The fee for a Journeyman license is $75.00 per year.
- The fee for an Apprentice license is $25.00 per year.
- The average processing time for applications is 1 month.
Reciprocity is considered on a case by case basis.
Continuing EducationThere are no requirements for continuing education as of this time..
- The Arkansas Plumbing exam has 50 questions and a time limit of 4 hours.
- The examinations are OPEN book.
- A score of 70% is needed to pass.
- The fee for examinations is built into the licensing fee.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the Arkansas Master and Journeyman Plumbing examinations. These references may be purchased from our online contractor's bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
- 2006 Arkansas Gas Code
- 2006 Arkansas Plumbing Code