Requirements to Obtaining your License
- Pre-approval from the Alabama Electrical Contractors Board is required to sit for examination and there are no requirements for continuing education.
- A minimum of 4 years field experience is required.
- 1 year of electrical education can be substituted for 1/2 year of experience.
- In order to do projects over $50,000 an additional Subcontractor License is needed from the General Contractors Board.
Work that can be Done Under this License
This license is for any individual, firm, or corporation who wants to engage in the business of installing electrical power or control systems; maintaining, altering or repairing any electrical devices, equipment, or any other electrical apparatus.
Applying to get your License
The examination/application fee (paid directly to the board) is $165.00 whereas the fee to obtain the license is an additional $200.00.
This license has reciprocity with Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
Applicants are required to complete 14 hours of continuing education every 2 years.
- The Alabama Electrical Contractor exam consists of 110 questions and has a time limit of five hours.
- The examination is OPEN book.
- A score of 75% (83 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Business Management and Law is incorporated within this examination.
- To schedule an examination, contact ProV at 1-866-720-7768.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are used on the both the Electrical Contractor and Electrical Journeyman examinations. These references may be purchased from our online contractors bookstore. Your references are permitted to be tabbed and highlighted.
- 2014 National Electrical Code
- American Electricians Handbook
The following reference is used the Electrical Contractor examination only. It may be purchased from our online contractors bookstore.
- Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Management
- Alabama Electrical Contractors Supplement to the Contractors Guide
Exam Review, Training, Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Exam Prep: $149